Boat detailing is the process of cleaning and polishing the exterior and interior of a boat. It is important to detail your boat regularly to keep it looking its best and to protect the finish. Mobile Detailing Pros is here to help with boat detailing tips, safety tips, and benefits.
Boat Detailing Tips
Wash the boat regularly with soap and water.
You should always wash your boat regularly with soap and water, rinse it thoroughly, and dry it thoroughly. All of this should be done about every two weeks or so, or more often if needed. It’s important when you do this that you make sure to use only approved boat-washing detergents and soft towels like microfiber. If you don’t, you risk damaging your boat’s finish and potentially causing permanent damage to it.
Use a boat polish
Did you know that boat polish can actually protect your finish? It can fill in scratches or chips to protect from the elements and keep from rusting and it adds a layer of protection between your boat’s finish and harmful UV rays, dirt and grime, and that pesky algae that loves to creep up the sides of your boat, especially when you leave it docked.
Wax the boat regularly
Waxing your boat is an important step you don’t want to skip. Not only will it keep your boat’s finish looking shiny and like-new, but it also protects your vehicle’s finish and makes it harder to damage. You absolutely want to make sure you are thoroughly waxing your boat each and every time you detail it.
Clean the interior of the boat with a vacuum cleaner and upholstery cleaner
You can’t forget the interior of your boat when you’re regularly cleaning and detailing it. You should first vacuum out the entirety of the interior (don’t forget the floorboards and the seats!). Then, you should scrub and thoroughly clean your upholstery using a detergent designed specifically for interior boat detailing, lest you risk causing permanent damage to your boat’s upholstery.
Polish the wood trim on the boat with a wood polish
Did you know you actually shouldn’t be cleaning the wood parts of your boat exclusively with a boat detergent? Using wood polish will help these areas shine like new and withstand the harsh waves and extensive traffic that these areas tend to experience.
Clean the windows on the boat with a glass cleaner.
Lastly, you should always keep your windows clean by using an appropriate glass cleaner. Not doing this can dramatically impact your visibility and maybe even permanently, given that the stains and debris the ocean can cause when left untreated can become nearly impossible to remove.
Tools and Supplies for Boat Detailing
- Soap and water
- Boat polish
- Vacuum cleaner
- Upholstery cleaner
- Wood polish
- Glass cleaner
- Soft cloths
- Safety glasses
Boat Detailing Safety Tips
- Wear gloves to protect your hands from the chemicals.
- Wear safety glasses to protect your eyes from the chemicals.
- Work in a well-ventilated area.
- Avoid getting the chemicals in your eyes or on your skin.
- Rinse the boat thoroughly after cleaning.
Boat Detailing Risks
- Water spots: Water spots can be caused by hard water or by not rinsing the boat thoroughly. To remove water spots, use a water spot remover or a mild abrasive cleaner.
- Mildew: Mildew can grow on the boat if it is not kept clean and dry. To remove mildew, use a mildew remover or a bleach solution.
- Algae: Algae can grow on the boat if it is in salt water. To remove algae, use an algae remover or a scrub brush.
How to Prevent Problems When Detailing Your Boat
- Rinse the boat thoroughly after each use.
- Store the boat in a dry place.
- Use a boat cover to protect the boat from the elements.
- Apply a boat wax to protect the finish.
Benefits to Boat Detailing
If you detail your boat regularly, you can enjoy many benefits. Benefits can include the following:
- Bragging rights
- Clean boats are more enjoyable
- Preserve longevity of the boat
- Preserve your investment
Whether your new to boat ownership or your a seasoned pro, detailing your boat is an essential part of the responsibility. If you can’t handle this task yourself or just don’t want to deal with it, you can make an appointment with Mobile Detailing Pros to come to your house or the docks to detail your vehicle. Their expert services are convenient, affordable, and professional.